Hearty Tex Mex Camping Trip Breakfast
When you’re going camping to get some serious sleep, you should also spice things up and serve up some Tex Mex Migas for breakfast. Super-hearty and deliciously filling, this is one breakfast you’ll never forget. These campfire migas are sure to keep you fueled all day for your outdoor adventures.
**This recipe is super easy if you pre-chop or dice the ingredients at home and place them in ziplock baggies. This breakfast is also best served the first day you wake up on your campsite to ensure fresh ingredients!
Tex Mex Campfire Migas
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
1 teaspoon coconut oil, **this is great for camping as it’s in a solid state before heating
2 bags blue corn tortilla chips
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 serrano pepper, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups cherry tomatoes
12 large eggs
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
2 teaspoon cilantro, finely chopped
6 lime wedges
1 can refried beans
1 avocado, diced
½ cup fresh salsa, optional
1. Heat olive oil in a large cast iron pan over the campfire.
2. Add the diced onion,bell pepper, and Serrano pepper. Sauté for five minutes, stirring often until the onion begins to caramelize and turn golden.
3. Add the garlic and tomatoes to the frying pan and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Combine eggs and salt in a large mixing bowl with a fork; fold in one ½ cup of the shredded cheese and 1 teaspoon cilantro.
5. Add the egg mix to the frying pan and cook for one minute without stirring.
6. Add the chopped tortilla chips, stirring gently to combine. Add the remaining cheese and cook until eggs are no longer runny.
7. Open refried beans. Remove the paper, and warm them right in the tin, on the campfire, while you distribute the eggs evenly onto plates.
8. Top with additional cilantro, avocado, salsa, a spoonful of refried beans and a lime wedge. Enjoy!
- Romell Bhaala