The Midnight Snack That’s Perfect for Sleep
We all know the old wive’s tale that a warm glass of milk before bed can send you to sleepy town, and it’s true. Dairy triggers the brain to use the tryptophan, found in dairy products with high calcium, to produce more sleep inducing melatonin. How cool is that!? Combine dairy with your favorite comfort food classics and you’ve got one sweet snack before bedtime.
What’s better than a comforting grilled cheese sandwich? These scrumptious grilled cheese croissants, stuffed with strawberry jam, are just the thing to really hit the spot. Of course you don’t have to whip them up before bed, they also make a great meal with a side salad, steamed broccoli, or green beans drizzled with lemon juice for a quick savory, sweet, healthy dinner. Paired with a glass of milk before bed, and you’ve got some seriously good bedtime eats that are the perfect midnight snack for sleep!
Strawberry Jam Grilled Cheese Croissants
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
4 teaspoons butter, unsalted
2 croissants, freshly baked
4 slices White Vermont cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons strawberry jam
1. Preheat a frying pan on medium high.
2. Cut the croissants in half, long ways.
3. Top the bottom half of each croissant with a hearty layer of strawberry jam. Then lay a slice of the white cheddar on top of the jam.
4. Sandwich the croissants back together.
5. Spread 1 teaspoon of the butter on both sides of each croissant.
6. Lay the croissants in the hot frying pan. Cook for 4 minutes on each side, or until the edges are golden and crispy and the cheese is melted.
7. Serve with a glass of your favorite milk for some extra calcium inducing sleep.
- Romell Bhaala