Savory Soup To Warm Up For Winter Sleep
Sometimes a good night’s sleep has more to do with what we put in our body than you might think. Comfort food during the cold winter months can really help ease tension, put your mind at ease and help you rock yourself to sleepy town in a more gentle, calming way. A delicious way to sleep better in cold months, is to knock your sock’s off with this delectable Taco Soup recipe.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
8 corn tortillas, quartered and cut into thin strips
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 poblano peppers, split in half
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound extra lean ground beef, 15% fat or less like Simple Truth or Laura’s Lean Beef
1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can lima beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can yellow hominy, drained and rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
3 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chiles
3 (15 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, chopped
1 package of ranch seasoning mix, like Hidden Valley
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 ½ teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons lime juice
4 cups water
sour cream, for topping
cheddar cheese, shredded for topping
cilantro, chopped for topping
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
2. Spread tortilla strips in an even layer on a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray. Bake 12 to 15 minutes until golden crisp. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
3. Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add poblano peppers and onion. Cook for 5 minutes, or until softened.
4. Add ground beef and cook until browned. Drain and add spices. Cook with spices for one minute until well-blended.
5. Transfer meat to a soup pot. Add all of the canned ingredients, including tomato juice and water.
6. Bring to a soft boil; reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
7. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice.
8. Spoon soup into bowls and top with sour cream, tortilla strips, cheddar cheese and cilantro.
- Romell Bhaala