Heart Healthy Shrimp Pasta for Better Sleep
When it comes to getting better sleep, you need a healthy heart. Keeping your heart healthy is easy with tantalizing recipes that please the palate, keep you more full longer for less snacking, and keep your heart beating healthy and strong. The Mediterranean Diet is full of essential oils, omega 3s, and protein that keep fat at bay and you sleeping better all year round’. One of my personal favorites, this twist on a typical Roman pasta dish is sure to become a family dinner favorite!
Roman Style Shrimp Pasta
Servings: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
40 shrimp, pre-cooked (I use frozen, deveined shrimp and chill them in cold water for 5 minutes if I cannot get them fresh)
1 package Italian spaghetti, non-enriched pasta
3 cans whole tomatoes, in juice
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
Crushed red pepper flakes, for dusting
Sea salt, for dusting
1. Bring a quart of water to a boil, on high heat, in a large soup pot.
2. Preheat a nonstick skillet on medium heat.
3. Open the cans of tomatoes. Drain the juice and chop each tomato into small pieces. Smash the tomatoes down with a wooden spoon, so they are semi-crushed.
4. Add tomatoes to the non-stick skillet and cover with a lid. Cook for five minutes and reduce heat to medium low; stirring occasionally.
5. Add spaghetti to boiling water and cook 9 minutes, until al dente.
6. Two minutes before the spaghetti is done, lay the shrimp on top of the tomatoes and cover to steam.
7. Drain spaghetti and portion out onto individual plates.
8. Top each with about ten shrimp and tomatoes.
9. Drizzle each plate with olive oil. Dust with a pinch of salt and crushed red pepper.
10. Serve with a side salad or green beans for one comforting, delicious Italian style meal!
- Romell Bhaala